Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rosie's Leveled in Blast


     The once popular Hummelstown restaurant, Rosie's East End, was reduced to rubble following a blast, Wednesday, May 21, around 1:30 p.m.  I was one of the first to arrive on the scene, and for the first time in my life my journalism instincts were superseded by my concern for those who may have been injured.  Sun editor Dave Buffington rushed to an over turned van to see if anyone was trapped inside.  "Is anyone in there," he yelled.  Thankfully no one was inside.  I fumbled to turn on my camera as my hands and fingers trembled,  and the heat from the fire grew increasingly hotter.  Minutes later, a second less severe blast, caused the flames to shoot higher, and the smoke turned darker.  A lone Hummelstown fire truck, which was first to arrive at the scene, made his way over to the flaming rubble and began dousing it with water.  Sun photographer Nathan Merkel took this photograph of me during the blaze.  - Drew Weidman

1 comment:

steventodd said...

Very sad, hopefully no one was hurt. I wonder if a PAOneCall was made prior to the excavation, or if the work even had anything to do with it. If it did, this is a lesson to all: before you dig (more than 18" deep, I recall), call 1.800.242.1776. They are very helpful, and will quickly notify all utilities at once. The utilities will either send you info (for a design), or will come mark the location of their facilities (for a dig). It's free and quick.